Get impressed and outfitted to construct profitable white papers. Let’s go!
Obtain Your White Paper Template
Need a head begin together with your white paper? Seize our white paper template—it offers you a easy however highly effective construction to work with, together with notes for every kind of part.
20 White Paper Examples
Need to get impressed by white paper examples that work? Take a look at the record under and see how people like Apple, Amazon, and Vox Media strategy their white papers.
- Planning a Energy BI Enterprise Deployment (Microsoft)
- A Information to Monetary Governance within the Cloud (Google)
- Navigating GDPR Compliance on AWS (Amazon)
- Why Higher Mac Safety Begins with Cloud Id (Jamf)
- The State of Content material (Mis) Administration (Vox Media)
- Future State of Enterprise 2021 Outlook (Samsung)
- What Builders Need (CodinGame)
- Privateness and the GDPR (BDO)
- Networking and Your Aggressive Edge (Cisco)
- The Knowledge-Impressed Artwork of Gross sales Acceleration (Dun & Bradstreet)
- Google Cloud Safety and Compliance (Google)
- Interactive Content material Fundamentals (Rock Content material)
- The Subtle Marketer’s Information to Content material Advertising (LinkedIn)
- Powering Your Content material With Synthetic Intelligence (Nuxeo)
- Simplify Manufacturing Scheduling With Clever Gantt Chart Visualization (Netronic)
- Worker Engagement (Enterprise Agility Institute)
- Informix on Cloud (IBM)
- 10 Finest Practices for Constructing Efficient Dashboards (Tableau)
- Switching From Microsoft Dynamics GP to The Cloud (Netsuite)
- Use Instagram for Enterprise (Hubspot)
5 Forms of White Papers
White papers can take totally different kinds and assist you obtain a variety of targets. Listed below are the categories to think about.
Technical White Paper
- Describes how know-how solves a particular drawback
- Focuses on a particular product or a technical course of behind an answer
- Options diagrams, tables, and flowcharts
- Instance: Oracle’s white paper
Enterprise Advantages White Paper
Product Comparability White Paper
- Targets readers who know the kind of product they’re shopping for, however haven’t but picked a vendor
- Used to check your product and its options with these out of your rivals
- Instance: dotSource’s Deciding on Advertising Automation Techniques white paper
How-To / Drawback-Fixing White Paper
- Codecs the answer to a standard trade wrestle
- Deeper and extra complicated than what you’d cowl in an everyday weblog publish
- Splendid for lead era on the prime of your funnel
- Instance: FreshBooks’ 6 Sensible Methods To Future-Proof Your Enterprise.
Thought Management White Paper
- Permits you to place an authentic idea inside your market
- Usually challenges a generally accepted perception or manner of fixing an issue
- Makes use of distinctive information and expertise to introduce a brand new strategy
- Instance: Inbound Advertising by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah.
What Does A White Paper Look Like?
Your white paper must be straightforward to navigate. Sections ought to naturally lead into one another. Use formatting to make your white paper skimmable, and graphics to attract consideration to the important thing factors you’re making.
Listed below are the important thing elements your white paper ought to have:
- Title web page
- Desk of contents
- Government abstract
- Sections and subsections
- Graphics, charts, and/or sidebars
- About your organization
What Are White Papers, Precisely?
A white paper is a advertising asset that argues a particular place or solves an issue in your viewers. It’s a doc that helps you determine topical authority and share authentic insights, information, and experience.
Corporations, manufacturers, and nonprofits bundle white papers into PDF paperwork and provide them in change for an e mail handle (and infrequently extra data, like firm dimension, job position, and placement). This makes them an amazing lead magnet.
When Is A White Paper The Proper Content material Format?
White papers is usually a useful gizmo in each stage of your gross sales funnel. On the prime of the funnel, you’ll be able to deal with in-depth training; for prospects later within the funnel, you’ll be able to share sensible, action-driven suggestions.
Listed below are examples of each:
Writing Your White Paper
Now that you recognize what your define ought to appear to be, you’re prepared to put in writing your white paper.
Step 1: Craft a fascinating headline
Finest white paper headlines are those who join your matter with an consequence your reader craves.
A robust headline contains:
- Phrase stability: a mixture of widespread, unusual, emotional, and energy phrases
- Size: optimized for visibility and click-throughs on search engines like google and social media
- Sort of headline: varieties of headlines embrace ‘“why” headlines, how-to, and query headlines
- Readability and skimmability: simplified for straightforward studying and understanding at a look
Begin by itemizing headline choices. Take a look at these headline formulation and templates and these 73 (!) methods to put in writing a profitable headline.
From there, bounce into Headline Analyzer Studio and verify your strongest headline choices in opposition to recommendations. Use the phrase financial institution to strengthen these headlines and choose your favourite to make use of in your white paper.
Step 2: Formulate your introduction
Your introduction bridges the promise out of your headline and govt abstract with the important thing factors and sections of your white paper.
Finest introductions assist the reader:
- Really feel like they’re in the appropriate place, studying the appropriate white paper primarily based on the issue they need to resolve
- Get a excessive stage overview of what you’ll cowl
- Show you do have the solutions they’re on the lookout for
To attain this, use your introduction to tease upcoming sections and contact on the info, assets, consultants, and authentic analysis you’ll use to make your factors.
Step 3: Write every subsection primarily based on define and analysis
Every subsection ought to make a definite level, like outline a step of a course of or make a particular argument.
When you’ve researched and outlined your white paper in an organized manner, writing your white paper subsections ought to be comparatively straightforward.
As you write, you may discover a spot in your analysis or a subsection that could possibly be added primarily based on the narrative you’re growing. If that occurs, make an observation and are available again to it in the direction of the tip of your writing to fill these gaps.
Step 4: Decide any photographs you’ll want
Is there information or an concept that may be finest introduced visually?
We’ll get to the design course of itself in a minute, however on this step, mark any segments that may profit from a visible asset. Get particular concerning the precise visuals you want.
- A graph or chart of an necessary information level
- A one-pager with a key statistic or quote
- Comparability tables
- Customized illustrations
Step 5: Evaluate and edit (each for content material and elegance)
Along with your first draft executed, it’s time to evaluation and edit your work—or hand it over to your editor, if in case you have one.
Then, dig deeper to verify the circulation of your white paper and the energy of the factors you’re making. This contains:
- Purpose: Does the content material fulfill its promise? Does it reply all of the questions your reader may need?
- Construction: Is the construction optimized for engagement and completion?
- Information: Is every thing factually correct? Double-check info, statistics, hyperlinks, and sources.
- Understanding: How straightforward is your writing to grasp? If there’s language or jargon your viewers could not perceive, word it and contemplate options. This may be corrected with a easy search on Thesaurus.com.
Pay attention to any elements that you must reposition, phrase otherwise, or make clear. When you undergo all the doc, bounce into these edits.
Seize some extra modifying suggestions right here in the event you want them.
Designing Your White Paper
Comply with these easy steps to show your written white paper right into a well-designed doc.
Step 1: Create the quilt web page
Your white paper’s cowl web page will be so simple as the one we’ve given you within the white paper template:
However you may also work together with your designer to construct a model with model colours or customized illustrations.
Another choice is utilizing a software like Venngage, which provides you ready-to-use white paper designs. You possibly can choose a template that matches your white paper kind and customise your colours and visuals:
Step 2: Design any obligatory inline graphics
When you’ve got the graphic design expertise, construct your personal charts and graphs. Instruments like Canva make this fairly straightforward, particularly with templates like these for infographics.
When you’ve got the choice to work with a designer, right here’s a easy template you should utilize to transient them on photographs you’d like so as to add to your white paper.
GRAPHIC HEADLINE: [Include a brief header or title for your graphic]
GRAPHIC COPY: [Include descriptive copy]
GRAPHIC DATA: [Include statistics, numbers, percentages, metrics, and so forth]
GRAPHIC NOTES: [Include other thoughts or image direction for your designer]
That ought to be sufficient to offer your designer an concept of what to create.
Step 3: Construction white paper in right column format
Your white paper may work completely in a single-column format, but when it’s significantly lengthy, you may need to contemplate a two- or three-column format.
Right here’s what a three-column format seems to be like in The state of content material (mis)administration white paper:
When you’ve got a designer answerable for visuals, allow them to find out about your format choice. And in the event you’re working from our template, work from the Format tab to arrange your columns:
Selling Your White Paper
Lastly, get your white paper in entrance of as many goal readers as you’ll be able to. Use these steps to information you (and keep in mind to construct promotion right into a advertising calendar like CoSchedule, too).
Step 1: Add it to a useful resource or white paper hub web page
Make your white paper straightforward to entry in your web site guests. This is likely to be on a devoted content material hub, like a assets web page or a white paper hub web page.
Step 2: Let gross sales and help understand it exists to allow them to share it with prospects and prospects
Attain out to each your gross sales and buyer help groups and share your white paper with them.
For these groups, it could possibly turn into an amazing bonus useful resource to make use of in gross sales conversations to ascertain authority. It additionally helps them in teaching prospects to success and constructing buyer loyalty.
Step 3: Put it on the market strategically with paid promoting
Run paid promoting campaigns on channels like Google, LinkedIn, and Fb to succeed in your goal readers strategically.
Step 4: Use your e mail record
Lastly, don’t neglect your e mail record! The easiest way to make use of your e mail record for white paper promotion is to section it by pursuits and solely ship to subscribers that match the subject of your white paper.
Prepared. Set. Write.
You made it—you’re able to analysis, plan, write, design, and promote an distinctive white paper.
Comply with this course of to construct a chunk of content material that may serve your advertising and enterprise targets for a lot of months and years to come back. Don’t skip the promotion and repurposing efforts to make your work go a good distance.