Listed here are the teachings I realized.
This isn’t an exaggeration, this actually occurred. Let me provide you with some context: The $1.3 million was an funding test. The submit was a picture. The funding got here from somebody I’d by no means spoken to earlier than and had seen the submit and despatched me a DM. Since this occurred, I’ve had time to replicate on what made this doable, and there are some distinct classes, which I’ll share on this story.
However first, a bit of background. I run a startup (Stakester), we’re two years outdated, we’re in e-sports, so it’s a cool sector, and we’re experiencing some nice consumer development. I’ve simply over 7k connections on LinkedIn.
I wasn’t aiming to lift any cash at this stage; we’d simply closed a funding spherical. However we’re a startup, and the reality is we’re at all times elevating, simply perhaps not formally. We’d dried up a bit of on the eye so I needed to get observed.
I’d realized a useful lesson throughout our final funding spherical: that relating to getting cash, the chance for traders to make a enormous return is all the things, so I wanted to seize their consideration with one thing that confirmed this.
With that in thoughts, right here had been the priorities;
- Present development.
- Present it’s taking place rapidly.
- Get a number of folks to see it.
- Get a number of the proper folks to see it.
Right here’s how I did it:
- Choose a metric. Doesn’t actually matter which, so long as it’s significant and rising. Make this the spotlight of the submit. I made the picture a easy graph displaying a steep curve.
- Point out a timeframe within the submit that appears quick. The trick right here is to make use of a bigger time interval so it has a decrease quantity. So as an alternative of 4 weeks, 1 month. Half a yr, as an alternative of 6 months. It is because the reader will see the quantity, not the interval.
- Hold all the info on LinkedIn — if you happen to want a hyperlink, put it within the feedback. LinkedIn prioritizes posts that preserve folks on the location. Additionally, add a related hashtag. TOP TIP: the image is prime actual property, however so is your first line, so make it attention-grabbing. Mine, “WARNING. HUGE BRAG BELOW,” was an invite to click on “learn extra.”
- That is the magic: In case you add somebody right into a submit, as individuals are usually well mannered, they may virtually actually Prefer it. This implies it should present up on their feed. Due to this fact, tag people who find themselves both within the sector you wish to attain, or related to folks which might be. I tagged everybody who since beginning the enterprise has invested, or has raised funding themselves. As a result of all of them can have related networks.
Lesson 1 — Shapes Promote
It doesn’t matter what the graph exhibits, simply the form of it. It provides an instantaneous emotional response. We see the Covid stats going up, we panic, we see them happening, we chill out. Can we take a look at the numbers and what they symbolize? Hardly ever. It’s the identical right here, present an attractive curve, individuals are going to get excited.
Lesson 2 — Don’t Ask
The second you ask for cash, the tables flip, you lose the ability. As a substitute, make them come to you. Feed that FOMO they usually’ll begin reaching out.
Lesson 3 — Put in The Groundwork
The chance of 1 submit getting $1M is, effectively, one in one million. I used to be extraordinarily fortunate, I do know this. However I made myself extra more likely to be fortunate by placing within the groundwork first. I grew my LinkedIn group, I commented on different folks’s posts so they’re more likely to reciprocate. Your profile might be the making of your small business. Make investments time and power into rising it and your probabilities of being fortunate will likely be exponentially elevated.
And eventually, right here’s the submit.
A couple of stats (on the level of elevating):
- 99 Likes
- 26 Feedback
- 9,866 Views
However these stats are largely meaningless.
The stats that matter:
- 5 chilly DMs from traders
- 1 deal closed
- $1.3M raised
The way it began…
The way it completed…