Rebranding is without doubt one of the most misused phrases I’ve heard in my profession. Businesses usually use the time period of their gross sales pitch to persuade potential shoppers to rent them. The pitch guarantees a big enchancment in backside line efficiency. However, most of the time, these workout routines find yourself being little greater than creating a brand new emblem or a set of branding pointers. They fall means in need of the shopper’s expectation of revitalized enterprise development. Why is that?
Largely it’s because rebranding is a misnomer.
Rebranding means to break together with your present model promise and embrace a brand new (presumably simpler) model promise. It means strolling away from the funding you’ve gotten made to speak your present model promise since you consider so strongly within the new model promise.
Do a web based search of profitable rebranding examples and you’ll uncover discussions on up to date campaigns, redesigned packaging, new logos, and the addition of recent goal audiences in a advertising plan. None of those examples represents rebranding. All of the examples you will discover construct off an present core model promise and doubtlessly do a greater job of speaking it, carry visible consistency to a product line, or introduce the model promise to a brand new group of individuals.
So, why do businesses name this work rebranding? As a result of it permits them to cost for strolling your model by their present course of.
In case you contacted them to easily create a brand new promotional marketing campaign, or develop a set of brand name pointers they couldn’t cost as a lot as promising to rebrand the enterprise.
Don’t be fooled by the promise of a rebranding train, and definitely don’t set a false expectation on the enterprise influence you’re going to get.
Are there any examples of true rebranding? Admittedly, there will not be many examples of the place rebranding was profitable. However listed here are just a few.
- Coca-Cola is a good instance. It was initially delivered to market in 1886 as a nerve tonic to alleviate exhaustion. Cocaine was faraway from the product in 1903 and it was efficiently rebranded as a smooth drink.
- Listerine was initially marketed as a normal function antiseptic in 1879 after which efficiently rebranded in 1895 as a treatment for dangerous breath.
- Bubble Wrap was launched in 1957 as a textured wallpaper. In 1959 it was efficiently rebranded for the aim of holding merchandise secure in transit.
- Frisbee was truly a tin pie plate made by the Frisbie Pie Firm (observe the spelling distinction to keep away from trademark patent violation). When faculty college students started tossing the tin plate round, Wham-O determined to efficiently rebrand the plate as a toy.
- Play-Doh was initially marketed in 1933 as a wallpaper cleaner. Then, in 1956 it was efficiently rebranded as a pliable modeling clay.
In every of those examples, the unique model promise was left behind for a brand new model promise. In case you are keen to stroll away out of your present model promise to pursue a brand new model promise, then investing in rebranding makes excellent sense. Actually, you possibly can argue it’s obligatory for achievement.
Earlier than you contract an company to do a rebranding train, you need to be completely sure you might be keen to stroll away out of your present model promise and also you have a transparent concept of what the brand new enterprise alternative appears to be like like to your product/service. In any other case, merely contract for what you actually need (e.g. new marketing campaign, new bundle design, a set of brand name pointers, and many others.). Don’t pay a premium for a rebranding effort, and don’t set unrealistic enterprise influence expectations for the tip consequence.
Contributed to Branding Technique Insider by: Ed Burghard and excerpted from his guide Constructing Manufacturers: What Actually Issues
The Blake Venture Can Assist: The Model Positioning Workshop
Branding Technique Insider is a service of The Blake Venture: A strategic model consultancy specializing in Model Analysis, Model Technique, Model Development and Model Schooling