Keep within the know
Signal as much as get new case research, invitations to our occasions and our month-to-month influencer advertising and marketing publication.
Get month-to-month magnificence trend-spotting, information insights, and international magnificence model rankings.
Is TikTok on the decline? Our latest Magnificence State of Affect report discovered that whereas the quantity of paid influencer posts on TikTok noticed a slight improve from Q3 to This fall 2021, engagements declined, whereas video views are up:
- +5% posts
- -22% engagements
- +17% video views
That is the inverse of what we have been anticipating to see, particularly since social commerce and influencer/model collaborations sometimes blossom through the vacation season.
Much more shocking? Different platforms truly noticed extra development in paid influencer posts throughout the identical time interval — Instagram noticed a 28% improve, YouTube a 18% improve, and Fb a 15% improve.
Don’t panic, there would possibly good explanation why TikTok is “underperforming”
Earlier than you rush to cancel your TikTok campaigns, listed here are a number of working theories that may assuage your considerations.
- The decline in engagements might point out that audiences eat video content material otherwise. All platforms — not simply TikTok — are exhibiting an general drop off in engagements and improve in video views on paid content material. Maybe this can be a signal that video is taking on? It’s attainable that customers aren’t as more likely to like, remark, and share movies as they’re stagnant photographs. To regulate for this shift, we’re noticing manufacturers of every kind add video views to the listing of key metrics they observe.
- The slowing development of sponsored TikTok posts could possibly be impacted by influencers’ speedy viewers development. Influencers nonetheless obtain massive viewers development on TikTok a lot sooner than on different platforms. Provided that sponsorship charges are sometimes based mostly on viewers measurement, we will assume that TikTok influencers are getting increasingly more costly. In reality, we’ve even seen manufacturers slim down their influencer roster to allow them to prioritize high quality over amount.
- Many manufacturers are nonetheless battling producing the proper content material for TikTok. As we mentioned in a earlier put up, the content material that works on TikTok is completely different from the content material that works on Instagram. They’re very completely different platforms that deserve completely different methods. Some entrepreneurs nonetheless haven’t fairly found out find out how to make these completely different methods work for his or her manufacturers. To that we are saying: be affected person and reward experimentation!
8 examples of profitable sponsored TikTok content material
Okay cool, however what are some concrete examples of TikTok content material that works? Beneath we element some sponsored TikTok influencer posts that earned excessive engagements, video views, and engagement charges.
The next posts earned a number of the highest whole engagements in This fall 2021.
On this evaluation, prime or VIP influencers typically earn essentially the most engagements on their sponsored content material. Is that this proof that small influencer virality solely applies to natural content material? We’re undecided.
Amanda Dias (3.5M) x Lancôme
- Related: On this paid put up, Amanda recreates a glance that Zendaya wore on the crimson carpet. This was an excellent selection as a result of Zendaya, who stars in Euphoria and Dune, has large affect in magnificence, vogue, and popular culture proper now.
- Easy, but effectively thought out: Amanda additionally retains it easy, and doesn’t attempt to get too fancy with this video. She posted a no frills tutorial that makes use of a number of Lancôme merchandise. She additionally tied within the authentic sound that Lancôme made for this marketing campaign by timing her transitions to the music and lip syncing the top of the music.
Merrick Hanna (22.3M) x EOS
- Non-beauty promo: EOS took a “danger” right here by partnering with a non-beauty influencer, however it labored effectively as a result of Merrick discovered a technique to seamlessly incorporate the product into his personal content material model.
- Artistic and authentic: Merrick stayed true to TikTok/his personal origins by making this sponsored video a dance video, with EOS lip balm as his visitor star. He additionally obtained extra artistic by including in enjoyable animations and wordplay.
Abby Roberts (17.3M) x Morphe
- Creativity name in: Abby and Morphe constructed their collaboration round a problem dubbed #morphexabbyhalloween. On this competitors, they invite people to put up their greatest Halloween make-up seems to enter to win a giant prize. The video that earned essentially the most engagement from this marketing campaign was the announcement of the winner, the place Abby dueted the creator’s video exhibiting her cult basic film make-up look.
- Large worth add: make-up challenges have gotten extra frequent, so Morphe and Abby tacked on much more pleasure by offering a giant prize to the winner — a billboard characteristic in Occasions Sq.!
Most video views
The next posts earned a number of the highest whole video views in This fall 2021.
In contrast to within the earlier part, the kind of companions that earned essentially the most video views have been prime, macro, and mid-tier influencers.
Dr. Angelo Landriscina (309K) x Clear & Clear
- Skinformation: Dr. Angelo faucets right into a content material sort that’s tried and true – schooling. In his sponsored video he highlights the primary ingredient from the product, reveals its texture, and describes what impact it has on pores and skin.
- Particular viewers callout: Dr. Angelo then goes on to name out who this product can be good for (delicate/zits inclined) and why they need to use it (gained’t strip or sensitize pores and skin). Many customers are on the lookout for product suggestions that match their distinctive pores and skin wants.
Doug Mar (3.6M) x Estée Lauder
- Non-beauty promo: that is an instance of one other profitable non-beauty influencer promotion. Much like Merrick Hanna x EOS, what makes Doug’s collab with Estée Lauder work is the truth that the content material is tailor-made particularly for his viewers and private model. It’s seemingly Doug’s viewers consists of oldsters who purchase fragrance for his or her companions, not for themselves.
- Gentle schooling: as a continuation of discovering the correct angle for his viewers, Doug stays away from getting too into the element of the fragrance. As an alternative he provides an excessive degree breakdown of the product and why it’s interesting.
Rachel Rigler (897K) x Maybelline
- Realtime tutorial: TikTok is a superb place for unfiltered, unposed content material. That’s why realtime make-up purposes do effectively. On this collab, Rachel reveals how she applies the Maybelline mascara, even describing particular options (just like the curve of the wand), and “predicted” that the product would quickly go viral.
- Product comparability: Rachel solely utilized the mascara to considered one of her eyes so she might present a aspect by aspect comparability. This helps present, not inform, the product’s results. L’Oréal Paris adopted an identical construction when selling its Telescopic mascara on TikTok.
Highest engagement charges
The next posts earned a number of the highest engagement charges in This fall 2021. Engagement charges is usually a good technique to establish tendencies which can be simply beginning or issues that work for influencers that don’t have large followings.
In contrast to the opposite two sections, the kind of companions that earned the very best engagement charges have been smaller influencers (micro – macro). In contrast to earlier classes, the highest performers have been nearly all beauty-specific influencers.
cakedbybabyk (33K) x Maybelline
- Pattern hacking: this influencer created an easy video by tapping into an present development — combining powder and liquid foundations. The additional advantage of doing the sort of video was that she obtained to focus on a number of Maybelline merchandise with out making the content material clunky.
- Particular viewers name out: much like what Dr. Angelo did, this influencer particularly known as out the kind of people this method and product would work effectively for. We love that she additionally threw in a little bit of comedy, “full protection for the oily gals”.
Chris Han (145K) x L’Oréal Paris
- Product comparability: on this sponsored put up, Chris did a special type of product comparability. She selected to point out how L’Oréal Paris’ cheaper product carried out in opposition to a luxurious product. We’re additionally seeing this low cost v luxurious product comparability acquire reputation in natural content material. Simply seek for “dupes”!
- Data dense: not like Doug Mar’s video, Chris packed her video full of data — element which measurement she was utilizing, the variety of colours obtainable, and value. We expect she did this as a result of her viewers is probably going stuffed with magnificence fans who would discover all this data extraordinarily useful.
Curious what a typical engagement price seems like for influencer content material? Try our new 2022 Engagement Fee Benchmark. We provide you with benchmarked averages throughout influencer tiers and platforms within the US, UK, and France.